An easy recipe for healthy dark chocolate fondue, made with 70% dark chocolate and flavored with vanilla. Only three ingredients!
This healthy dark chocolate fondue recipe is made with just three ingredients: dark chocolate, half and half and vanilla. It’s one of my favorite desserts these days.
I enjoyed myself immensely at a fondue restaurant a couple of weeks ago (cheese fondue first, then chocolate fondue for dessert). So I just had to purchase my own fondue pot! After some experimenting, I settled on a dark chocolate fondue. The fondue is lightened up by using half and half instead of heavy cream, and flavored with vanilla.
I wrote this recipe specifically for the Cuisinart electric fondue pot, which I own. But you can probably use it with any electric fondue pot.
Many like to use sweet dippers such as marshmallows or cake cubes. But I find that strawberries are not just healthier, but also best complement the melted chocolate in terms of flavor and texture. They provide a nice contrast between the slight tarteness of the fruit and the creamy sweetness of the chocolate.
I think that when you use sweet dippers in your dark chocolate fondue, you’re actually missing out. Because it just becomes too cloyingly sweet (even with dark chocolate).
It’s also nice to dip halved apricots and large cubes of peaches in this dark chocolate fondue. Or even apple slices, especially tart apples such as Granny Smith. Just resist the temptation to use junky sweet dippers. It’s so not worth it!
Chocolate Fondue Recipe
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz dark chocolate, 70% cacao, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (or Amaretto liqueur)
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, halved
- Pour the half-and-half into the fondue pot. Bring to a simmer at setting 4 (medium).
- When the half and half is bubbling lightly, lower heat to setting 3 (medium-low) and add the chopped chocolate, 2 oz at a time, whisking with a silicone whisk until smooth.
- When chocolate is completely melted, whisk the vanilla into the fondue.
- Reduce the temperature to setting 2 (low) and serve with fresh strawberries.