Cauliflower gratin, rich and cheesy and comforting, is the perfect keto and low carb alternative to starchy potato gratin.
Of all the many ways to prepare cauliflower, this creamy keto cauliflower gratin is definitely one of my favorites. Granted, adding sour cream and gruyere cheese to almost anything would make it taste good! But this is especially true for cauliflower. As versatile as potatoes, but far healthier, cauliflower readily absorbs the richness of cream and cheese. It is thus elevated from merely a tasty veggie into a true delicacy.
How to serve keto cauliflower gratin
Cauliflower gratin is one of my favorite winter side dishes. It’s so cheesy and rich and comforting! Needless to say, it is also perfect for your holiday table. As to the question of what goes with this dish, it truly goes with anything. But since I use a 425°F oven to make this side dish, I like to serve it with a main course that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve keto cauliflower gratin with roasted rack of lamb, with baked cod, or with chicken cordon bleu.
How to make keto cauliflower gratin
This is an especially easy recipe for cauliflower gratin. Briefly steam the cauliflower, mix with the rich but quick sauce, and then bake until golden and fragrant. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions.
What about leftovers?
Keep leftover cauliflower gratin in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty cauliflower recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious ways to use cauliflower, try these very flavorful balsamic cauliflower steaks. Cauliflower casserole is, I suppose, the American version of cauliflower gratin. It’s excellent! And cauliflower tots are the perfect keto alternative to tater tots.
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 1.5-quart glass or ceramic baking dish with butter or olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mustard, garlic, gruyere, salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower well and pat dry. Add to the sauce, tossing to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Switch to broil, and broil a couple of minutes, until golden-brown. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.