Cauliflower gratin, rich and cheesy and comforting, is the perfect keto and low carb alternative to starchy potato gratin.
Of all the many ways to prepare cauliflower, this creamy cauliflower gratin is definitely one of my favorites.
Granted, adding sour cream and gruyere cheese to almost anything would make it taste good! But this is especially true for cauliflower.
As versatile as potatoes, but far healthier, cauliflower readily absorbs the richness of cream and cheese. It is thus elevated from merely a tasty veggie into a true delicacy.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty gratin. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Fresh cauliflower florets
- Sour cream
- Dijon mustard
- Minced garlic
- Grated gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
How to make cauliflower gratin
This is an especially easy recipe! The detailed instructions are listed in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Briefly steam the cauliflower. You can do it in the microwave.
- Mix the cauliflower with a rich but quick sauce of sour cream, Dijon mustard, cheese, and spices.
- Then bake until golden and fragrant.
How to serve cauliflower gratin
This is such a versatile side dish. It truly goes with anything. But since I use a 425°F oven to make it, I like to serve it with a main dish that I can cook in the same oven.
So I often serve this tasty gratin with one of the following main dishes:
Is it healthy?
I believe it is. As mentioned above, cauliflower is a very healthy vegetable. And happily, full-fat dairy has been exonerated in recent research. It’s harmless for healthy people, and might even be beneficial.
What about leftovers?
Keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty cauliflower recipes
If you’re looking for more delicious ways to use cauliflower, try these very flavorful cauliflower steaks.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 1.5-quart baking dish with butter or olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mustard, garlic, gruyere, salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower well and pat dry. Add to the sauce, tossing to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- if your baking dish is broiler-safe you can now switch to broil and broil the dish for a couple of minutes, until golden brown.