An easy recipe for healthy, low carb and keto beef and broccoli. You can make this beef and broccoli without cornstarch, using konjac flour instead.
I love making this delicious and easy beef and broccoli, and my family often requests it for dinner.
How to make beef and broccoli
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by whisking together the sauce ingredients, then set it aside.
- Microwave the broccoli florets until tender crisp.
- Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and beef strips.
- Add the sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Stir in the broccoli, drizzle with sesame oil and serve.
What kind of beef do you use for beef and broccoli?
I make it as easy as possible by using pre-sliced sirloin strips (sold at many grocery stores as “beef for stir fry/stroganoff”).
I also use frozen broccoli florets. Research shows that vitamin content of frozen produce is comparable to and occasionally higher than that of their fresh counterparts. Obviously, you can slice the steak yourself, and use fresh broccoli.
Tips for making this beef and broccoli recipe a success
I use organic cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Organic means no GMOs, and the dish is still low carb. However, if you want to reduce carbs even further, you could try using 1/4 teaspoon of konjac flour instead of the cornstarch.
I usually add 1 tablespoon of honey to this beef and broccoli dish. This does increase the carbs but adds a lot of flavor and really balances out the saltiness and tang of the soy sauce.
The sesame oil is wonderful, so I wouldn’t skip it. I find that toasted sesame oil is best. And please use reduced sodium soy sauce in this dish, otherwise it will be too salty.
How to serve beef and broccoli?
How to keep the leftovers?
We rarely have leftovers when I make beef and broccoli. But when we do, I find that leftovers keep for 3-4 days in the fridge. I simply reheat them in the microwave prior to serving.
More Asian style dishes you might enjoy
I really love Asian style dishes – the flavors are incredible, and they are so easy to make. A couple of other Asian style favorites in our household are this delicious chicken vegetable stir fry, and spaghetti squash with peanut sauce.
Beef and Broccoli
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon low carb honey substitute (or real honey)
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 oz small broccoli florets, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 lb. sirloin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the reduced sodium soy sauce, honey, cornstarch and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Microwave the broccoli florets: Place in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high until tender crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or a wok, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add the beef strips to the skillet. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, just until the beef is no longer raw.
- Whisk the soy sauce mixture one more time (the corn starch has settled into the bottom by now) and add it to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and stir fry until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, then turn the heat off.
- Off heat, drizzle the beef and broccoli with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.