This easy recipe for beef and broccoli is wonderfully flavorful and very easy to make – it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
I love making this delicious and easy stir-fry recipe, and my family often requests it for dinner. We all appreciate the wonderful flavors, and I also appreciate the fact that it’s so easy to make!
Like most stir-fry recipes, once you start cooking, this beef and broccoli dish is ready in a matter of minutes. Prepping the veggies and the sauce takes a bit more time, but is very doable, even on a weeknight.
The ingredients you’ll need
Here’s an overview of what you’ll need to make this beef and broccoli recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below:
Soy sauce: I use reduced-sodium soy sauce in most of my recipes. I find that traditional soy sauce is too salty. Obviously, you can also use a gluten-free alternative.
Honey: Just 1 tablespoon. This does increase the carbs but adds wonderful flavor and also balances out the saltiness and tang of the soy sauce. For a keto version, you can use a sugar-free sticky sweetener or the equivalent in stevia.
Cornstarch: For a keto version, use a comparable amount of Konjac flour (about 1/2 teaspoon).
Red pepper flakes: They don’t make the dish overly spicy. They just add an interesting layer of flavor.
Small broccoli florets: Fresh broccoli is best, both in terms of texture and in terms of flavor. But in a pinch, you can use frozen broccoli.
Neutral cooking oil: My favorite is avocado oil. Refined coconut oil is also a good choice.
Aromatics: Onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. I’m lazy, so I chop the onion in the food processor and use jarred minced garlic and grated ginger.
Sirloin strips: I make it as easy as possible by using pre-sliced sirloin strips (sold at many grocery stores as “beef for stir fry/stroganoff”). You can obviously slice them yourself.
For garnish: Sesame oil and sesame seeds. It’s OK to skip the sesame seeds – I use them mostly for garnish. But I wouldn’t skip the sesame oil. It adds a wonderful layer of flavor, especially if you use toasted sesame oil.
How to make keto beef and broccoli
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
You start by whisking together the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes), then set it aside.
Microwave the broccoli florets with a little water until tender-crisp. Make sure you don’t overcook them.
Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and beef strips in some avocado oil. Then add the sauce and keep cooking until it thickens.
Stir in the broccoli, drizzle with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.
How to serve beef and broccoli?
You can serve this flavorful dish on its own, or you can spoon in on top of cauliflower rice or on cooked shirataki noodles. If you don’t mind the carbs, steamed white rice or brown rice would the perfect bed for this saucy dish.
How to keep the leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power, covered, prior to serving. I haven’t experimented with freezing the leftovers.
More Asian-style dishes that you might enjoy
I really love Asian style dishes – the flavors are incredible, and they are so easy to make. A couple of favorites in our household are this delicious chicken vegetable stir fry, and we all love spaghetti squash with peanut sauce.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Beef and Broccoli
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or a sugar-free substitute)
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch (or 1/2 teaspoon konjac flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 oz small broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 lb. sirloin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the reduced sodium soy sauce, honey, cornstarch and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Microwave the broccoli florets: Place in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high until tender crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or a wok, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add the beef strips to the skillet. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, just until the beef is no longer raw.
- Whisk the soy sauce mixture one more time (the corn starch has settled into the bottom by now) and add it to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and stir fry until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, then turn the heat off.
- Off heat, drizzle the beef and broccoli with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.