Wonderfully delicious and fluffy almond flour pancakes are keto and gluten-free. They are very easy to make – the batter is nice and thick and easy to work with.
Weekend pancakes are a beloved tradition in our family. Everyone gathers around the kitchen island. I stand by the stove, cooking the pancakes, and as soon as one is ready, I hand it over to a family member.
Needless to say, I get to eat the “chef’s bonus” – the misshapen ones, those that are overcooked or slightly undercooked. They are still delicious! I am actually amazed at how tasty, fluffy and tender these keto almond flour pancakes are.
A savory breakfast is probably better, BUT…
When my husband and I started eating a low carb diet, I was on a mission to find a low-carb version for all our favorite recipes. With time, we slowly realized that the healthiest way to eat low carb is to minimize sweet treats and focus on real food.
So usually, breakfast is egg muffins, salami breakfast cups, or plain Greek yogurt with berries. But sometimes, especially on weekends, it’s nice to have something special for breakfast. And these pancakes are just perfect. 🥞
Are almond flour pancakes keto?
Yes! Even though the batter contains milk, and as long as you sweeten them with a sugar-free sweetener such as stevia, they are keto. As you can see in the recipe card below, a serving has 6g net carbs.
If you don’t like using milk in a keto recipe, please feel free to replace it with heavy cream.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these delicious pancakes. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Eggs: I use large eggs in almost all of my recipes.
- Vanilla extract.
- Whole milk: Feel free to use heavy cream instead.
- Sweetener: I use stevia. You can use a granulated sweetener instead.
- Kosher salt: If using fine salt, use just a pinch.
- Almond flour: A healthy flour substitute. For the best texture, use blanched finely ground flour.
- Baking soda.
- Avocado oil spray: A healthy oil for the griddle. You can also use a thin layer of unsalted butter.
How to make keto almond flour pancakes
This is a very easy recipe. The detailed instructions are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Simply mix the ingredients together in a large bowl until very smooth. I like to start with the liquids, then gradually add the dry ingredients.
- Cook the pancakes in a greased nonstick griddle over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side. Measure about 1/4 cup per pancake.
Watch the video below or look at the step-by-step photo collage and you’ll see – the batter is nice and thick, and very easy to work with. It won’t spread out too thin, and the pancakes keep their shape. They also don’t burn easily, as sometimes happens with coconut flour pancakes.
One of the best things about gluten-free flours is that you don’t need to worry about over-mixing the gluten. So you can mix everything in one bowl, and you can (and should) mix until very smooth and lump-free.
How to top them?
I add a little stevia to the batter – just enough for light sweetness (I believe that stevia is a safe sweetener). Two tablespoons of any granulated sweetener should also work. Then, all the pancakes need is a pat of sweet butter. They don’t even need syrup.
Obviously, though, you can serve these keto almond flour pancakes with your favorite syrup if you wish. Other options include a drizzle of melted dark chocolate or peanut butter, blueberry compote, or strawberry compote. Or go all out and top them with keto whipped cream and scatter some dark chocolate chips on top!
How to keep the leftovers
You can keep the leftovers in storage bags in the fridge for up to three days. Place paper towels between them to absorb extra moisture. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
You can also freeze these pancakes for up to 3 months. Freeze them in freezer bags, separated with squares of wax paper, so that they don’t stick to each other. You can microwave them frozen on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Almond Flour Pancakes
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract (yes, 2 full tablespoons!)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite (equals about 2.5 tablespoons sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups blanched finely ground almond flour (8 oz – please measure by weight, not volume)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Avocado oil spray for griddle
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk, stevia, and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the almond flour. Whisk patiently until very smooth and free of lumps.
- Finally, whisk in the baking soda.
- Heat a nonstick double burner griddle over medium heat, 4-5 minutes. Spray with oil. Use a 4-tablespoon scoop to scoop out the pancakes into the griddle. My griddle fits 6 pancakes, so I work in two batches.
- Cook the pancakes about 3 minutes on each side, until puffed, golden-brown and cooked through.