Fluffy gluten-free almond flour chocolate cake is naturally sweetened with a touch of honey. It’s moist and so delicious!
This wonderful cake is naturally sweetened with honey. It’s made with just a few ingredients and is wholesome enough that I occasionally serve it for breakfast.
It makes me very happy that not just I enjoy this almond flour chocolate cake – my kids love it too. I feel so much better serving it to them than serving commercial cakes.
Gluten-free cakes can be wonderful!
When I started experimenting with gluten-free baking, I assumed that the results would be inferior – a sort of compromise.
But I find that cakes made with almond flour and leavened with baking soda are just as fluffy and delicious as cakes made with refined flour. As opposed to yeast-based baked goods, which have no real substitutions in my opinion.
This almond flour chocolate cake is a perfect example. It is wonderfully tender, moist and chocolatey. I have served it to people that are not on any special diet (and are not allergic to nuts, of course), and they loved it.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need seven wholesome ingredients to make this delicious cake (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Honey: Since honey is very sweet, you will only need 1/2 cup.
Vanilla extract: Try to use the real thing – pure vanilla extract – and not the artificially flavored stuff.
Almond flour: I use blanched finely ground almond flour in this recipe. I don’t recommend using a coarse almond meal.
Cocoa powder: I use natural unsweetened cocoa powder.
Kosher salt: If using fine salt, use just 1/4 teaspoon.
Baking soda: If you’d like to try using baking powder (though I haven’t tested it in this recipe), remember that 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
How to make almond flour chocolate cake
It’s such an easy recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
2. Gradually whisk in the almond flour and cocoa powder, then the salt and baking soda.
3. Pour the batter into a well-greased pie plate. Bake for about 30 minutes at 325°F.
Tips for making this recipe a success
I recommend, for best results, that you measure the almond flour by weight, not by volume. This is always true when baking, and it’s especially true when baking with almond flour.
Since this recipe relies on baking soda as a leavener, you should use natural cocoa powder, and not Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Dutched cocoa powder is not acidic so it won’t react with the baking soda, and the cake will be flat rather than fluffy.
How to serve almond flour chocolate cake
It’s really good just as it is, and when I keep it plain, I can occasionally serve it for breakfast or as a snack cake. But if you’d like to frost it, you can use any of the following options (use your favorite sweetener – it’s best to use powdered):
- The chocolate frosting I use in this keto cake
- Or you could try this cream cheese frosting
- Whipped cream and berries
- Chocolate whipped cream
How to keep the leftovers
You can keep leftovers of this almond flour chocolate cake in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to a week.
They also freeze well. I slice the cooled cake first, then place the slices in freezer bags. You can gently defrost the frozen slices in the microwave.
Reviews of this cake
Pinterest reviewers seem to really enjoy this cake. Here are a few of their comments:
- This was absolutely delicious! I used palm sugar instead of honey and it worked out perfectly. So fluffy and moist!
- Chocolaty and so easy to make. It’s more of a dense cake and would be really nice with a berry sauce and whipped topping. This could make a rather elegant dessert.
- Boy was it good! I made a coconut cream whipped cream to go with it, delish. Will make again for sure!
Enjoyed this almond flour chocolate cake? Here are more recipes to try!
For a quick, microwavable chocolate fix, try this gooey, wonderful keto chocolate mug cake. And this Greek yogurt cake is incredibly moist and fluffy, and another cake that I feel is appropriate as an occasional breakfast or snack.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blanched finely ground almond flour (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch glass pie plate with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in the almond flour and cocoa powder.
- Finally, whisk in the salt and baking soda. The batter will be fairly thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until center is set, and a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes, then slice and serve. Keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to a week.