Tender, moist and chocolatey, this almond flour chocolate cake is a real treat and so much healthier than a wheat flour cake.
This fluffy, gluten-free almond flour chocolate cake is naturally sweetened with a touch of honey. It’s wholesome enough to occasionally be served for breakfast.
When I started experimenting with gluten-free baking, I assumed that the results would be inferior – a sort of compromise.
But I find that cakes made with almond flour and leavened with baking soda are just as fluffy and delicious as cakes made with wheat flour. As opposed to yeast-based baked goods, which have no real substitutions in my opinion.
This almond flour chocolate cake is a perfect example. It is wonderfully tender, moist and chocolaty. I have served it to unsuspecting guests. They raved about it and had no idea it was made with almond flour!
I do recommend, for best results, that you measure the almond flour by weight, not by volume. This is always true when baking, and it’s especially true when baking with almond flour.
Since this recipe relies on baking soda as a leavener, you should use natural cocoa powder, and not Dutch processed cocoa powder. The Dutched cocoa powder is not acidic, so it won’t react with the baking soda, and the cake will be flat rather than fluffy.
Do you need this almond flour chocolate cake to be low carb? A wonderful reader, Rebecca, tested this recipe using a couple of substitutions. She used 1/2 cup granulated low carb sweetener instead of the honey. And she added 1/3 cup canned full fat coconut milk. She reports it was a huge success!
If you go with this low carb option, I suggest whisking the granulated sweetener and the coconut milk with the eggs and vanilla.
PS. For a quick, microwavable chocolate fix, try this gooey, wonderful keto chocolate mug cake.
Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch glass pie plate with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in the almond flour and cocoa powder.
- Finally, whisk in the salt and baking soda. Batter will be fairly thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until center is set, and a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes, then slice and serve. Keep leftover covered in fridge for up to a week.