This homemade gluten free bread is made with almond flour. It’s soft, fragrant, and makes a great canvas for sweet or savory toppings.
When making homemade gluten free bread, it is important however to adjust our expectations. The yeasty aroma and gluten-induced fluffiness that we love about traditional bread cannot be achieved without, well, yeast and gluten, so this is more of a quick bread that fills the need (if you still have it) to make a sandwich or to have a slice of bread for breakfast.
For this purpose, this gluten-free bread works very well, and since it’s low in carbs and relatively high in fat, it will fill you up better and will spare you the blood sugar roller coaster normally associated with flour bread.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for pan
- 5 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) refined coconut oil, gently melted in microwave
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¾ cup (7 oz) almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan (a 9-inch pan will be too big).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the coconut oil, vinegar, salt, almond flour and finally the baking soda.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is golden-brown and set, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack before gently releasing the bread from the pan (carefully run a knife along edges if needed). Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes more, before slicing and serving.
- Keep leftovers in a ziploc bag in the fridge for a few days, or freeze.