An easy recipe for delicious, sticky, sweet and sour meatballs, smothered in tasty sauce. Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, or over rice as an entree. The original recipe is my mother in law’s and calls for browning the meatballs in fat, then cooking them in broth, and finally glazing them with the sauce.
I decided to streamline, skip the browning and cooking and simply bake the meatballs. Easy and delicious!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pan
- 1 lb. extra lean (90%) ground beef
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Mix the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl. Form 18 meatballs, about 1½ ounces (40 grams) each, and place in the prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, spooning sauce over each meatball to make sure they are well-coated. Bake 10 more minutes, uncovered, until meatballs are well browned and sauce is thick and fragrant. Serve immediately.