Tasty zucchini cakes are fried in olive oil to crispy, golden perfection. To keep them gluten free, I use gluten free bread crumbs in the mixture.
This zucchini cakes are so good!
Zucchini is always delicious, especially when young and firm. But these zucchini cakes truly take zucchini to a whole new level.
They are crispy, golden, and super flavorful. How good it feels, to eat something that’s healthy AND delicious!
I use gluten free bread crumbs to keep these zucchini cakes gluten free (but not low carb, obviously, though they only have 9 grams carbs per serving).
You can serve these zucchini cakes as a side dish, but they are substantial enough to be served as a main course. I like to serve them with a side of brown rice and roasted carrots. It makes for a very colorful plate!
- 2 lb. (7 medium) unpeeled zucchini, coarsely grated
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts and 1 inch of the greens, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup olive oil for frying
- Place the grated zucchini in a colander to drain for 30 minutes (If zucchini is firm, you won’t get much water).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix all other ingredients except for the oil. Add the drained zucchini and mix well.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in each of 2 large skillets, over medium heat. When hot, after about 3 minutes, drop ¼ cup of the batter onto 4 spots on each skillet (mine are pretty and round because I used a round, shallow measuring cup to scoop the mixture out).
- Cook until golden on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side, about 2 minuets more.
- Repeat with 2 more batches, wiping the skillets with paper towels and adding more oil as needed. Keep the prepared cakes in the warm oven while you cook more batches.