After enjoying myself immensely at a fondue restaurant, I just had to purchase my own fondue pot. After some experimenting, I settled on a dark chocolate fondue, lightened up by using half and half instead of heavy cream, and flavored with vanilla. I wrote this recipe specifically for the Cuisinart electric fondue pot, which I own, but you can probably use it with any electric fondue pot.
Although many like to use sweet dippers such as marshmallows or cake cubes, I find that strawberries are not just healthier, but also best complement the melted chocolate in terms of flavor and texture.
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz dark (70% cacao) chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (Amaretto is excellent too)
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, halved
- Pour the half-and-half into the fondue pot. Bring to a simmer at setting 4 (medium).
- When the half and half is bubbling lightly, lower heat to setting 3 (medium-low) and add the chopped chocolate, 2 oz at a time, whisking with a silicone whisk until smooth.
- When chocolate is completely melted, whisk the vanilla into the fondue.
- Reduce the temperature to setting 2 (low) and serve with fresh strawberries.