Why bother with making homemade breakfast sausage? Take a look at the ingredients list for Jimmy Dean’s pork sausage: Pork, Water, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Dexstrose, Monosodium Glutamate.
There ARE better alternatives (such as Applegate), but it’s so easy to make homemade breakfast sausage, and the result is so very tasty. You can make them in advance, and freeze (place parchment paper between patties) for quick and easy midweek meals. Next time I’m definitely doubling the recipe.
- 1 lb. ground pork, 85% lean
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or olive oil cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix the pork and the spices. Form into eight ½-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Brush with the olive oil. Place the sausages on the griddle. Cook 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (to check with a thermometer, insert the thermometer on the side of the patty, pushing it into the middle).