Rich, delicious and healthy homemade chocolate, made with cocoa powder, coconut oil and honey (or a low carb alternative).
Making homemade chocolate is easy. And when you make it at home, you know exactly what goes into your chocolate and can avoid unwanted additives such as soy lecithin.
How can I make my own chocolate?
It’s surprisingly easy! Scroll down to the recipe card below to see how simple it is. It’s so easy, that it’s a great activity to do with your kids.
My kids love making this homemade chocolate with me! They enjoy watching the magic of the mixture forming into chocolate bonbons in different pretty shapes. It’s a truly easy recipe – they need very minimal supervision when making it.
What ingredients do you use to make homemade chocolate?
I use coconut oil, cocoa powder and honey. These wholesome ingredients make this delicious homemade chocolate extra healthy, but also extra melty. So keep it in the fridge and remove 5 minutes before serving.
Another option is to use food-grade cocoa butter instead of coconut oil.
The addition of chopped nuts is optional. I like the flavor and texture they add. You can add whatever nuts you like, of course.
Is homemade chocolate healthy?
It’s healthy in the sense that it’s made of a short list of whole-foods ingredients, and it has no artificial additives or preservatives. It’s still candy, even if healthier and homemade. So you should consume it in moderation, just like all good things in life. 😉
As for the specific ingredients in this recipe. Although coconut oil is controversial, it’s probably healthy, especially when used in moderation. Unsweetened cocoa powder has some interesting health benefits, as do almonds. And honey – well, it’s a sugar. But it’s probably a slightly better choice than white sugar. As long as it’s consumed in – you guessed it – moderation. 😀
How long can you keep homemade chocolate?
You can keep it in the fridge, in a sealed container, for about 2 weeks.
Other recipes to consider
If you like to make your own chocolate, you might also want to try this easy recipe for delicious homemade dark chocolate bark. Other tasty chocolate recipes that I love to make are keto chocolate truffles, chocolate covered blueberries, and dark chocolate coconut haystacks.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey, or a low carb alternative
- 1 oz roasted almonds, coarsely chopped in food processor
- Place the coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave just a few seconds to melt it.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the melted coconut oil. Use a small rubber spatula to combine.
- Mix in the honey, then the ground almonds.
- Use a spoon to transfer the mixture into a candy silicone mold. Freeze for 10-20 minutes, until completely set.
- Keep the homemade chocolate in the fridge in an airtight container. Remove it from the fridge 5 minutes before enjoying.