This tasty keto and low carb hamburger casserole is made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce and cheese. It has tons of flavor, and no grains or excessive carbs.
A delicious, cheesy keto and low carb hamburger casserole – a classic comfort food! I owe this very flavorful hamburger casserole recipe to my lovely reader Alix.
Alix emailed me a few weeks ago and said:
I’m a big fan of you and your blog. I’m a university student who “went health nerd” a couple of years ago and frequently use your recipes. I recognize a lot of healthified childhood staples here.
One “staple” I’m always looking for a healthier version of is a particular casserole I loved growing up. I guess you could call it a “hamburger casserole” – ground beef, pasta, pasta sauce, mozzarella, gravy … you know, all the food groups. I was wondering if you had a healthy version of this or a similar dish you could share. Would love to give it a try.
Alix’s hamburger casserole sounded delicious, so I was happy to make a healthier version. I simply omitted the pasta, browned the ground beef and onions, added pizza sauce and cheese, and baked.
How to serve keto hamburger casserole?
This low carb hamburger casserole is saucy, so definitely serve it on top of something that would soak up the sauce. You can serve it on plain shirataki noodles (make sure you rinse, boil and dry them in a hot skillet first). Cauliflower rice should work well too.
Another option is to add raw riced cauliflower to this keto hamburger casserole and bake it with the casserole. I haven’t tried that, but it definitely sounds like it should work. The riced cauliflower should help absorb some of those cooking liquids. It is also very nutritious.
If you’d like to try this, I would suggest, in step 3 of the recipe below, that you add 2 cups of riced cauliflower to the ground beef and onions. Then cook them all together.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this low carb hamburger casserole in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, covered (to prevent splatters), on 50% power.
More ground beef recipes that you might enjoy
Low Carb Hamburger Casserole
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded (2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 1-quart baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef, onions, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often and breaking up the meat as it cooks into small chunks, until beef is no longer raw (a little pink is fine, it will continue cooking in the oven) and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Stir in the pizza sauce and mix until well-incorporated.
- Turn the heat off. Stir in the cheddar and mix until melted and incorporated into the beef mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake 30 minutes. While the casserole bakes, prepare your cauliflower rice or shirataki.
- Allow the hamburger casserole to rest 10 minutes, then serve.