An easy recipe for moist, fluffy and flavorful low carb and keto gingerbread cake. Despite containing no molasses or brown sugar, it tastes just like the real thing!
This cake is so delightful. It’s fluffy, moist, and very flavorful. When I embarked on making a low carb gingerbread cake, I had my suspicions. I assumed that it would be very difficult to recreate the traditional flavor without molasses.
As it turns out, it’s not that hard! This cake tastes wonderful. But eating it comes without the price tag of eating a baked good made with refined sugar and flour.
How to make keto gingerbread cake
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- You simply mix together all the ingredients in one bowl.
- Then you pour the batter into a greased square 8-inch pan.
- Bake at 325°F about 20 minutes.
I based this recipe on my trusted almond cake recipe. I omitted the honey, replacing it with stevia, milk, and butter. And I added spices – cinnamon and ginger.
If you’re on the keto diet and very strict about it, you can use heavy cream instead of the milk. But as you can see, even with the milk, this cake is very low in carbs.
Why I add a bit of cocoa powder to the batter
This might be somewhat unusual, but I like to add just a tablespoon of cocoa powder to this keto gingerbread cake. This accomplishes two important goals:
- The acidic cocoa powder helps to activate the baking soda. This is why you should use natural cocoa powder, not one that says it was processed with alkali.
- The cocoa powder gives the cake a deeper color. This is especially useful because I don’t use brown sugar or molasses.
Is it a healthy recipe?
It’s still a cake, of course. But as far as cakes go, I believe that this is a truly healthy cake that you can occasionally enjoy for breakfast with your keto coffee.
How to store keto gingerbread cake
Once completely cool, store it in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 5 days. You can also freeze individual slices in freezer bags.
More tasty holiday recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Low Carb Gingerbread Cake
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1.5 teaspoons stevia glycerite (equals 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, natural, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour (6 oz – it’s best to measure by weight)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a glass 8X8-inch baking dish with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, stevia, cinnamon, cocoa powder, ginger and kosher salt.
- Whisk in the almond flour, then the baking soda.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a cooling rack for 20 minutes, then cut into nine squares and serve.