The best part of eggs Benedict is the rich hollandaise sauce. So ditch the high carb English muffin and use a quick low carb bread instead!
I don’t know why it took me so long to realize that I could easily make low carb and keto eggs Benedict.
Eggs Benedict and a Bloody Mary is my favorite brunch. But it’s been several years since I ordered eggs Benedict, because I don’t eat bread anymore.
Keto alternatives to English muffin
This weekend, it occurred to me that the only high carb part of eggs Benedict is the English muffin. I suddenly realized that I could easily replace it with a low carb alternative. I did, and we loved the rich, delicious result.
All of these options are good. The tastiest is probably oopsie rolls. But the low carb English muffin is also excellent, and easier to make. So it’s really up to you.
When I posted this keto eggs benedict recipe on Facebook, one reader commented that another option is to simply omit the bread. That’s very true. No doubt, the flavor here comes from the meat, eggs and sauce. However, it IS nice to have something to sop up the yummy egg yolks.
Is this a healthy recipe?
However, this dish contains raw and undercooked eggs, so it does increase your risk of foodborne illnesses. This is something that you will need to decide for yourself.
And as a processed meat, Canadian bacon might be less than ideal. Although some researchers wonder about the validity of studies that found a connection between processed meat and disease.
Personally, I serve keto eggs Benedict once in Awhile for brunch. It’s not a staple of my diet, but on the whole, I consider it a good healthy option.
Low Carb Eggs Benedict
- Prepare the oopsie rolls. Set aside.
- Prepare the hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- Poach the eggs. You can follow these instructions for how to poach eggs, but it's easier to use a microwave egg poacher - follow the manufacturer's directions. Generally you would need to add a little water to the poacher cavities, break the eggs into the poacher, cover, and microwave for 60-90 seconds for two eggs.
- Briefly warm the Canadian bacon, in a skillet or in the microwave.
- Assemble the eggs benedict: place a slice of Canadian bacon on each oopsie roll. Top with a poached egg. Spoon 2 tablespoons of hollandaise sauce on top. Serve immediately.