You know that the best part of eggs benedict is the hollandaise sauce, right? So ditch the English muffin, use a super quick low carb bun, and enjoy delicious low carb eggs benedict!
Eggs benedict and a Bloody Mary – now that’s my definition of a perfect brunch! It’s been several years since I ordered eggs benedict, though, because I don’t eat bread anymore.
This past weekend, it occurred to me that the only high-carb part of eggs benedict is the English muffin- and that I could replace it with a low-carb alternative. I did, and we loved the rich, delicious result.
There are two alternatives that I could think of to the English muffin – oopsie rolls and low carb microwave bread. I used the bread, because it’s quicker. But oopsie rolls should work too, and will have the advantage of not imparting a slight coconut flavor to this dish.
- Prepare the oopsie rolls. Set aside.
- Prepare the hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- Poach the eggs. You can follow these instructions for how to poach eggs, but it's easier to use a microwave egg poacher - follow the manufacturer's directions. Generally you would need to add a little water to the poacher cavities, break the eggs into the poacher, cover, and microwave for 60-90 seconds for two eggs.
- Briefly warm the Canadian bacon, in a skillet or in the microwave.
- Assemble the eggs benedict: place a slice of Canadian bacon on each oopsie roll. Top with a poached egg. Spoon 2 tablespoons of hollandaise sauce on top. Serve immediately.