Flavorful taco salad makes a great, healthy alternative to traditional tacos. My family loves our weekly “make your own taco salad” night!
When you crave tacos and don’t feel like making cheddar taco shells, a healthy taco salad is a great option. You get all the wonderful flavors, without the unnecessary carbs and calories from the taco shells.
Taco salad makes a quick, tasty weeknight dinner. Simply sauté the beef with onions and spices, then build your salad.
Bagged salad greens and store-bought salsa make this healthy recipe especially quick, and you could obviously use store-bought taco seasoning too.
I like to make a layered taco salad, as shown in the photos – it’s just so pretty. After I serve the salad, each of the diners can add more toppings and mix everything together right in their plate.
But if you prefer, you can put everything in a big salad bowl and make a mixed taco salad.
I don’t use dressing, by the way, because the toppings – salsa, guacamole and sour cream – work beautifully as a tasty dressing when mixed into the salad.
In my high-carb past, my family used to have a weekly “build your own taco” night. These days, we have a weekly “build your own taco salad” night, where each of us chooses their own salad toppings, and it’s just as delicious, just as fun, and so much healthier.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning*
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup guacamole
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef and the onion and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat as you cook, until beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the taco seasoning. Cook, stirring, 2 more minutes, until beef is well-coated. Turn the heat off.
- To make a layered salad, divide the beef mixture and the remaining ingredients among 4 large plated, layering them next to each other as shown in the photos. Each diner can add mix their own salad.
- To make a mixed salad, place the salad greens in a large bowl. Top with the beef mixture, the tomatoes and the cheese. Spoon the salsa, guacamole and sour cream on top, and mix everything together, then serve.