Delightfully creamy and refreshing, this delicious avocado soup has a subtle heat from the cayenne – a last-minute decision to add some had paid off! It’s perfect for entertaining, because you can – and should – make this avocado soup in advance.
Chilled soups are a wonderful summer treat and can be a lifesaver when you just can’t bring yourself to heat up the oven or slave over a hot stove.
- 1 medium avocado, diced (6 oz without refuse)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ -3/4 cup cold water
- Place all ingredients in food processor, starting with ½ cup water. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Check consistency and, if desired, add up to ¼ cup more water and process to combine.
- Divide the avocado soup among 4 individual bowls. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.