It may not look like much, but this simple steamed cabbage, seasoned with butter and garlic, is a delicacy.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, Vegetarian, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo/Primal
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 medium cabbage (2 lb. trimmed)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Trim the cabbage, then shred. Place in a colander and rinse.
- Transfer the rinsed cabbage to a large, deep skillet, without drying it off - the water adhering to the cabbage will allow it to steam.
- Turn the heat on medium-high and cover. When the cabbage starts to steam, lower heat to medium.
- Steam, covered, 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Uncover and cook 2 more minutes to allow any remaining water to evaporate.
- Add the butter, garlic, salt and black pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine. Cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring, until butter has melted. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 107; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrates: 9g; Sodium: 215mg; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 2g