Roasting red onions takes them from bitter and pungent to mild and caramelized – almost sweet. Roasted red onions make a delightful side to any meat dish, and especially to grilled meats.
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the onion, slice into ¼-inch thick slices and separate the slices into rings.
- Spread the onion rings in a glass baking dish. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast the onions, stirring once halfway through roasting, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.