Prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella is the perfect low-carb snack. It’s delicious, easy to make (the only difficult part is remembering to freeze the cheese the night before), and quite healthy, if you use uncured, additive-free prosciutto. I like to use pre-sliced Prosciutto di Parma by Citterio, which I get at Trader Joe’s and I believe you can also get at Costco. The only ingredients are pork and salt.
- 4 part-skim mozzarella sticks, peeled and halved crosswise
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (4 oz total)
- Place the halved mozzarella sticks on a wax-paper-lined platter or tray and freeze, at least four hours and preferably overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the mozzarella stick halves from the freezer. Wrap each frozen mozzarella stick half with a thin slice of prosciutto, as shown in the photo below. The Prosciutto will adhere to itself, so there's no need for toothpicks.
- Place the wrapped mozzarella sticks, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Switch the oven to broil, place the baking sheet on the top oven rack, directly under the broiler, and broil until prosciutto is crisp and mozzarella just starts to melt, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.