Jicama fries make a tasty alternative to regular fries. In this version, the fries are coated in olive oil and yummy seasonings, then baked until tender. Microwaving the fries prior to baking them is optional, but keep in mind that if you don’t microwave them first, jicama fries retain some of their crunch even when baked for a long time. I tried both versions, and we all liked the microwaved fries better.
- 1 jicama (1 lb.), peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick fries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and fit it with a cooling rack.
- Place the jicama strips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover, and microwave for 15 minutes, stopping once to gently stir.
- In a large bowl, toss the jicama fries with the olive oil and the spices. Arrange on the cooling rack. Bake 45 minutes, until browned. Serve immediately.