Keto pizza stuffed mushrooms pack as much flavor as pizza, but are low carb and gluten-free. It’s an easy broiler recipe, ready in just 20 minutes.
Mushrooms are the ideal base for a keto pizza. They are very low in carbs, and when you stuff them with tasty fillings, you no longer need to mourn the loss of a doughy crust. 🍕
These tasty little mushrooms are so much fun to eat! They pack as much flavor as pizza but they are obviously a better choice. It’s the only way my kids will eat mushrooms. So if a little cheese is what it takes, then so be it!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make pizza stuffed mushrooms. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Mushrooms: I like to use Cremini mushrooms. White mushrooms work too.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Pizza sauce: Try to use a sugar-free pizza sauce such as Rao’s.
Shredded cheese: I use part-skim mozzarella. Sometimes I buy a bag of pre-shredded Italian blend cheeses.
Chopped herbs for garnish: These are optional and mostly enhance the presentation of this dish. I use freeze-dried parsley because that’s what I usually have in the fridge.
How to make pizza stuffed mushrooms
These delicious mushrooms are keto, low carb and gluten-free. The tasty filling consists of tomato sauce, mozzarella and any herb you like, such as basil, oregano or even parsley.
It’s a quick and easy recipe – broil them for just a few minutes, and they are ready, in all their cheesy glory. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
The first step of broiling the mushrooms releases some liquid, so it’s important to allow that liquid to drain prior to stuffing the mushrooms. Simply place them, top side up, on paper towels for a few minutes.
How to serve pizza stuffed mushrooms
They make a great appetizer, although I often make them for my family as a side dish. In fact, they are so good and so filling, that sometimes I make them as my entire lunch!
You can make this appetizer ahead of time, refrigerate, and then reheat it in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes.
You can also microwave the leftovers. Speaking of leftovers, you can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
More tasty mushroom recipes
A nice variation on this classic recipe is one that uses large, meaty portobello mushrooms to make a tasty portobello pizza.
And this cheesy mushroom casserole is a favorite side dish in our household. It’s incredibly tasty and very easy to make.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Olive oil spray
- 16 oz Crimini mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt divided (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce (I like Rao’s)
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chopped herbs for garnish (I use freeze-dried parsley)
- Heat your broiler to 450 degrees F and set a rack directly below the heating element (4 inches below). Line a rimmed broiler-safe baking sheet with foil and spray it with oil.
- Place the mushrooms, top side up, on the prepared pan. Spray with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until just tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Place the mushrooms on paper towels, top side up, to absorb any liquids that were released during broiling. Wipe the baking sheet clean and spray it with more oil.
- Arrange the mushrooms back on the baking sheet, top side down. Spray them with more olive oil, and sprinkle with the remaining kosher salt and black pepper. Spoon a little pizza sauce into each mushroom and top each of them with a small pile of grated cheese.
- Return the pizza stuffed mushrooms to the oven and broil just until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Garnish with chopped herbs and serve.