Wonderfully creamy and satisfying, avocado chicken salad is one of my favorite lunches. The addition of eggs and bacon makes it extra rich and flavorful.
I love having a salad for lunch. Summer, winter, it doesn’t really matter – I find them incredibly fresh-tasting, versatile and filling. I have a main-course salad for lunch at least once a week. I just never tire of them! 🥗
This avocado chicken salad is one of my favorite lunches. I make myself a big bowl and dig right in! It reminds me of Cobb chicken salad, but it’s easier to make, so I make it more often.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty salad. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Chicken breast: Cooked and shredded. I often used baked chicken breast or broiled chicken breast. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken if you’d like. Just make sure to remove the skin. Its texture won’t work in a salad.
Hard-boiled eggs: Chopped or sliced. They add not just flavor but also a nice color to the salad.
Avocado: Definitely go with Haas avocado. It’s creamy and flavorful. Other avocado brands can be watery or fibrous.
Diced red onion: I use just a small amount to add flavor, crunch, and a pop of color.
Bacon: This is the secret ingredient! You don’t need a lot – just two strips – and they add this wonderful richness and smoky flavor.
For the dressing: I like to use olive oil, fresh lemon juice (helps keep the avocado from browning), Dijon mustard (helps the dressing emulsify), a little fresh garlic, kosher salt, and black pepper.
How to make avocado chicken salad
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to whisk together the dressing ingredients until they emulsify into smooth, velvety dressing.
2. Add the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently mix to combine. That’s it! Lunch is served.
Variations on this salad
- Sometimes I add a small amount of thinly sliced celery, for some added crunch.
- You can replace the red onions with thinly sliced green onions.
- If I don’t have bacon, I sometimes use chopped deli meat such as ham or smoked turkey.
- Rather than whisking the dressing separately, you can simply assemble the salad, then drizzle it with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then gently mix.
How to serve avocado chicken salad
I keep it simple and serve it in a bowl or a plate- there’s really no need for a bun. But if you’d like, you could serve it on (or in) any of the following:
Can I keep leftovers?
I wouldn’t try to keep leftovers for longer than a day or so. The avocado will not stay fresh. It’s best to finish this salad on the day you make it.
More recipes that you might like
My favorite avocado recipe is these very tasty baked avocado fries with spicy chipotle dipping sauce. They are phenomenal! A close second is this recipe for baked avocado egg, a tasty and gorgeous recipe for brunch.
And when it comes to salads, this Thai chicken salad with peanut dressing is incredibly flavorful and perfect for meal prep!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black peppeer
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until they emulsify into a smooth dressing.
- In a large salad bowl, add the chicken, eggs, avocado, red onions and bacon.
- Add the dressing and gently stir to combine. Serve immediatley.