Wonderfully creamy and satisfying, avocado chicken salad is one of my favorite lunches.
The addition of eggs and bacon makes it extra rich and flavorful, and it's ready in just 15 minutes!
I love having a salad for lunch. Summer, winter, it doesn't really matter - I find them incredibly fresh-tasting, versatile, and filling. I have a main-course salad for lunch at least once a week. I just never tire of them! 🥗
This avocado chicken salad is one of my favorite lunches. I make myself a big bowl and dig right in! It reminds me of Cobb chicken salad, but it's easier to make, so I make it more often.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty salad. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Chicken breast: Cooked and shredded. I often used baked chicken breast or broiled chicken breast.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Chopped or sliced. They add not just flavor but also a nice color to the salad.
- Avocado: I use one large avocado.
- Diced red onion: I use just a small amount to add flavor, crunch, and a pop of color.
- Bacon: This is the secret ingredient! You don't need a lot - just two strips - and they add this wonderful richness and smoky flavor.
- For the dressing: I like to use olive oil, fresh lemon juice (it helps keep the avocado from browning), Dijon mustard (which helps the dressing emulsify), a little fresh garlic, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Making this avocado chicken salad is easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Your first step is to whisk together the dressing ingredients until they emulsify into a smooth, velvety dressing.
- Now, add the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing on top and gently mix to combine.
- That's it! Lunch is served.
You should definitely go with Haas avocado when making this salad. It's creamy and flavorful. Other avocado varieties can be watery or fibrous.
I also recommend that you pick a large avocado that's just ripe, not hard but not too soft.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken if you'd like. White or dark meat - both work, although my personal preference in this salad is for white meat. Do make sure to remove the skin. Its texture won't work in a salad.
You can, but Dijon is highly recommended. It's creamier, less vinegary, and will work better to help the dressing emulsify. If you opt for yellow mustard, you might want to add a teaspoon of mayonnaise to the dressing.
No, I don't recommend that. Its texture won't survive freezing and defrosting.
I love this recipe as is and almost always make it as written. But in case you'd like to vary the basic recipe, here are a few ideas for you:
- Sometimes I add a small amount of thinly sliced celery for some added crunch.
- You can replace the red onions with thinly sliced green onions.
- If I don't have bacon, I sometimes use chopped deli meat such as ham or smoked turkey.
- Rather than whisking the dressing separately, you can simply assemble the salad, then drizzle it with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then gently mix.
I keep it simple and serve this salad in a bowl or a plate- there's really no need for a bun. But if you'd like, you could serve it on (or in) any of the following:
You can keep this salad in the fridge, in an airtight container. But I wouldn't try to keep the leftovers for longer than a day or so. The avocado will not stay fresh. It's best to finish this salad on the day you make it.
👩🏻🍳 I typically publish a new or an updated recipe once a week. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black peppeer
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until they emulsify into a smooth dressing.
- In a large salad bowl, add the chicken, eggs, avocado, red onions, and bacon.
- Add the dressing and gently stir to combine. Serve immediatley.