These tasty and fluffy keto ricotta pancakes are made with coconut flour and pleasantly flavored with vanilla and lemon zest.
These gluten-free keto ricotta pancakes are amazing. They are very tasty and wonderfully fluffy.
Coconut flour is healthy, but it’s not always easy to work with because it’s so absorbent. However, once you get the ratios right, it produces wonderful baked goods (these lemon poppy seed muffins are a good example).
Pancakes in Manhattan
A few years ago, my husband and I were traveling, and we missed a flight due to a tight connection. We ended up staying the night in New York City (I guess there are worse things than being stranded in NYC for a day).
The next morning, before departing for our early flight, we found a small cafe that was open and was serving all kinds of goodies.
We decided on the lemon ricotta pancakes and oh my, they were absolutely wonderful. We each received a small stack of three fat, fluffy griddle cakes. The ricotta gave them wonderful creaminess, and their subtle lemony flavor was sublime.
To this day, we fondly recall that freezing morning in New York City.
A keto alternative
These days, my husband and I have transitioned to a gluten-free, low carb diet. So those pancakes would have been out of the question.
Could I make a gluten-free and keto version of these ricotta pancakes? I wondered. I often default to my very reliable recipe for almond flour pancakes. But in this case, I decided to use coconut flour.
As it turns out, gluten-free keto pancakes CAN be wonderful. We loved the result!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these tasty keto ricotta pancakes. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Ricotta cheese
- Whole milk (or cream)
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Granulated sweetener
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter for frying
How to make keto ricotta pancakes
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- I simply place everything except for the butter in the food processor and process until smooth. You can also whisk the ingredients by hand, in the order listed.
- Cook in butter on a nonstick griddle, about 3 minutes per side over medium heat. Make them small – 2 tablespoons per cake – so that they’re easier to flip.
What to do with the leftovers?
Keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Separate them with wax paper squares. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
You can also freeze them in freezer bags. Again, make sure you separate them with wax paper.
More tasty keto pancakes
Enjoyed these keto ricotta pancakes? Another excellent recipe that uses coconut flour is this recipe for low carb cottage cheese pancakes. They are wonderful!
And these almond flour pancakes are a classic. They are the closest, in my opinion, to the real thing.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Ricotta Pancakes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons granulated sweetener (or the equivalent in stevia)
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour (42 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, for the griddle
- Place all the ingredients except for the butter in your food processor bowl. Process until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping once to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- You can also mix the ingredients by hand if you prefer. Whisk them all in one bowl, adding them in the order listed.
- Heat a nonstick double burner griddle over medium heat (not higher), about 4 minutes. Grease with half the butter.
- Pour the batter into the griddle, measuring 2 tablespoons per pancake (I use a 2-tablespoon ice cream scoop that I got on Amazon).
- Cook the pancakes until golden-brown and puffed, 3-4 minutes per side. Grease the griddle again and repeat with the second batch. Serve immediately.