Chicken Parmesan is a genius dish that takes the blandest of meats – chicken breast – and elevates it into a delicacy. It’s like chicken breast pizza, only better.
“It’s like pizza on a chicken breast!” declared the Picky Eater, delighted.
Why yes, it is. Chicken Parmesan is delicious. The humble chicken breast is coated with a mixture of breadcrumbs (or almond flour in our case) and Parmesan, sauteed, then topped with marinara sauce and more cheese. It’s as good as it sounds, and a genius way to turn the blandest of meats – chicken breast – into a delicacy.
In my version of healthy chicken Parmesan, I use almond meal to keep it gluten free and low carb, but you can certainly use the same amount of breadcrumbs if you don’t mind the gluten/carbs.
It’s best to use coarse almond meal rather than blanched almond flour, but if you only have almond flour, that’s okay.
To keep this chicken Parmesan recipe easy, I don’t slice the chicken breasts or pound them thin, and I don’t saute them. Instead, I bake them in the oven in two stages – the first to cook them through and brown the almond meal coating, the second to melt the cheese.
I usually top this easy baked chicken Parmesan with slices of provolone cheese and chopped parsley, because I tend to have those in my fridge. But shredded mozzarella will work too, and you can use different herbs, including basil and oregano.
If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, it’s fine to skip them. In this case, I would add a dried herb, such as dried oregano, when seasoning the chicken breasts.
Chicken Parmesan is a forgiving dish. You can easily change up the coating (bread crumbs, Panko bread crumbs, almond meal), the cheese, and the seasonings. So go ahead and experiment!
Watch the video to see how I make this healthy chicken Parmesan:
- Olive oil spray
- 4 small chicken breasts, 6-7 oz each
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 4 (1 oz) slices provolone
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and fit it with a wire rack. Spray the rack with olive oil.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Season them on both sides with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- In a pyrex dish, whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- In another dish, mix together the almond flour and Parmesan.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg, then dredge in the almond flour mixture.
- Transfer the coated chicken breasts to the prepared wire rack. Spray the tops with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven but keep the oven on. Top each chicken breast with about 2 tablespoons marinara sauce and 1 slice provolone.
- Return the chicken breasts to the oven for 5 more minutes, until cooked through, internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, and cheese is melted.
- Top the chicken Parmesan with chopped parsley or basil and serve.