Even if you don’t like the taste of licorice, give this roasted fennel recipe a try. Roasting caramelizes the fennel bulbs, downplays the licorice flavor and brings out a nutty, delicious creaminess. The addition of Parmesan makes this dish extra delicious, though it’s also excellent with no cheese, if you’re so inclined.
- 2 large fennel bulbs (about 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the stems of the fennel. Rinse and dry the bulbs. Slice each bulb in half lengthwise. With the cut side down, slice the bulb vertically into ½-inch-thick slices, leaving the core intact.
- Arrange the fennel slices in a 13 X 9 -inch baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and use your hands to coat the fennel pieces with the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the Parmesan and toss to coat. Return to the oven and bake until the fennel is fork-tender and the top is golden brown, about 20 more minutes.