This cheeseburger casserole is delicious, in a delightfully non-gourmet sort of way. Grownups and kids alike loved it when I served it tonight, and the younger one – the picky eater- even asked for seconds!
To balance out the richness of this dish, skip the starches and serve it with a veggie, such as simple boiled green beans, roasetd asparagus or a big salad.
- Olive oil spray for the baking dish (make your own using a spray bottle)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups (8 oz) sharp cheddar, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 x 8-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and the salt. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, about 10 minutes, until meat is browned, onion is soft and liquids have evaporated.
- Add the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool five minutes, then stir in the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.