Delicious creamed spinach, flavored with garlic and onion, and creamed with neufchatel cheese.
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, gluten-free, low-carb, vegetarian
Yield: 3 servingsNew quantity:
- 1 lb. frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 oz. neufchatel cheese (or reduced-fat cream cheese)
- Place the frozen spinach in a large, deep skillet. There's no need to add oil. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium and cook, stirring and breaking up large chunks, until thawed, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute, then add the salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Add the neufchatel cheese, stirring until it melts into the spinach. Serve immediately.
Occasionally I go through the extra step of replacing the onion powder with ½ sauteed onion, but more often than not I'm too lazy for that, and truly it doesn't make much of a difference - the onion powder works great in this recipe.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 95; Total Fat: 5g; Carbohydrates: 9g; Sugars: 1g; Sodium: 361mg; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 7g