This delicious creamed spinach is flavored with onions, garlic and nutmeg, and creamed with Greek yogurt.
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Sides, gluten-free, low-carb, vegetarian
Yield: 2 servingsNew quantity:
- ½ cup plain, whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 lb. fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ onion, minced (4 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Measure out your yogurt and place outside the fridge, to allow it warm up a bit. This will help prevent curdling when you add it to the hot spinach later.
- Place the spinach in a large, deep skillet. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium and steam the spinach leaves just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the spinach leaves in a colander, then place in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze hard, getting rid if most water. Set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean and heat it over medium-high. Add the butter and swirl to coat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, then add the spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat. Add the yogurt, stirring until the yogurt melts into the spinach. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 192; Total Fat: 10g; Carbohydrates: 18g; Sugars: 1g; Sodium: 489mg; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 12g