Tortilla French toast: tortillas dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar. It’s as good as it sounds!
Tortilla french toast has become part of our weekend tradition.
You see, we have a tradition in our house. Weekday breakfasts are healthy. Eggs, plain yogurt, berries.
Weekend breakfasts – not so much.
Yes, these are all gluten free, but they’re not exactly health food.
Sometimes my kids ask me to make crepes for breakfast, and I’m just too lazy to bother. So I make tortilla French toast instead.
It’s a simple recipe – tortillas are dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar.
I use gluten free almond flour tortillas, but you are welcome to use any tortilla you like – this recipe should work fine with wheat flour tortillas, whether regular, whole wheat, or low carb.
Other adjustments you can make are using any milk you like – non dairy included, and replacing the sugar with your granulated sweetener of choice – such as coconut sugar or a low carb sweetener.
Tortilla French toast is not quite the same as real crepes, of course, but it’s far less labor intensive, and it’s very, very good.
PS. If you’re on a keto or low carb diet, I highly recommend this delicious keto French toast!
Tortilla French Toast
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (or low carb sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 4 6-inch almond flour tortillas
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In another shallow dish, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat a double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the butter, swirling or brushing to coat.
- Dip each tortilla in the egg mixture, on both sides, until well-coated. Shake off the excess. Place on the hot griddle.
- Fry the tortillas about 2 minutes on each side, until puffed and golden-brown. Dredge in cinnamon sugar, fold in half and serve.