Tortilla French toast: tortillas dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar. It’s as good as it sounds!
Tortilla french toast has become part of our weekend tradition. You see, we have a tradition in our house. Weekday breakfasts are healthy. Eggs, plain yogurt, berries. Weekend breakfasts – not so much.
Easier than crepes!
Sometimes my kids ask me to make crepes for breakfast, and I’m just too lazy to bother. So I make this recipe instead. It’s not quite the same as real crepes, of course, but it’s far less labor-intensive, and it’s very, very good.
How to make tortilla French toast
It’s a simple recipe. Tortillas are dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
I use gluten-free almond flour tortillas, but you are welcome to use any tortilla you like. This recipe should work fine with wheat flour tortillas, whether regular, whole wheat, or low carb.
Other adjustments you can make are using any milk you like – nondairy included, and replacing the sugar with your granulated sweetener of choice. Such as coconut sugar or a low carb sweetener.
So, is this a healthy recipe?
It’s not broccoli. 🙂 And you shouldn’t eat tortilla French toast every day. But for a sweet weekend breakfast, I think it’s a good compromise.
This is true especially if you use gluten-free, lower-carb tortillas, which are likely a better choice than refined-flour tortillas.
And if you feel bad about using white sugar, you can certainly use coconut sugar instead. Although not everyone agrees that it’s a better choice than white granulated sugar.
This is obviously not a low-carb recipe, though. If you’re on a keto or low carb diet, I highly recommend this delicious keto French toast instead.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Tortilla French Toast
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (or low carb sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 4 6-inch almond flour tortillas
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In another shallow dish, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat a double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the butter, swirling or brushing to coat.
- Dip each tortilla in the egg mixture, on both sides, until well-coated. Shake off the excess. Place on the hot griddle.
- Fry the tortillas about 2 minutes on each side, until puffed and golden-brown. Dredge in cinnamon sugar, fold in half and serve.