Wonderfully creamy and flavorful, shrimp in cream sauce is a dish that comes together quickly and easily, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
I make shrimps often for my family, so I’m always looking for new and interesting 🍤recipes. This rich cream sauce is probably one of my favorite ways to cook them. It’s wonderfully creamy and so very flavorful.
It’s one of those dishes that look really sophisticated but is really easy to make. So I make it often for my family, but I also feel that this dish is great for company.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make shrimp in cream sauce (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Butter: I use unsalted butter in most of my recipes, this one included.
Shrimp: Raw, peeled and deveined. Tails on or off – this is purely up to you.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar.
Heavy cream: Try to find heavy cream free of gums and thickeners. They’re simply not needed here and won’t add any value to the recipe.
Cayenne pepper: It doesn’t make the dish spicy, but it adds an interesting layer of flavor.
Grated Parmesan cheese: Make sure you use finely grated parmesan and not coarsely shredded.
Chopped parsley: This is mostly for garnish, but it also enhances the dish’s flavor.
How to make shrimp in cream sauce
It’s a truly easy recipe – one of those seemingly sophisticated recipes that are so easy to make. Scroll down to the recipe card below for the detailed instructions. The basics are simple:
Cook the shrimp. You cook them in butter in a skillet, then set aside.
Make the sauce. In the same skillet, you cook some garlic, then add cream, spices, and finely grated parmesan.
Finish the dish. Your last step is to add the shrimps back to the skillet to reheat together with the sauce. Keep this step brief – the shrimps are already cooked, you don’t want to overcook them.
How to serve shrimp in cream sauce?
Many people like to serve it on top of pasta or rice. That’s fine of course. But if you’re on a low carb or keto diet, you can use zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or cauliflower rice instead of the starchy options. This dish is also good on top of haricot vert, thin French-style green beans.
And here’s one more idea for you – you can ladle the shrimp on top of raw spinach leaves. The warm cream sauce will wilt the spinach just enough to render it perfectly cooked.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them very gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More shrimp recipes that you might like
Shrimp in cream sauce is not the only shrimp recipe that I make often.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Shrimp in Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1.5 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with half the kosher salt and black pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until just cooked through and no longer translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the cream, the cayenne pepper, and the remaining kosher salt and black pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring. This should take about 1 minute. Add the Parmesan cheese and gently stir until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp back to the skillet. Gently stir to combine with the sauce and to reheat, about 1 more minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.