Wonderfully creamy and flavorful, shrimp in cream sauce is a dish that comes together quickly and easily, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Shrimp in cream sauce is probably one of my favorite ways to serve shrimp. It’s rich, wonderfully creamy, and so very flavorful.
It’s one of those dishes that look really sophisticated but is really easy to make. So I make it often for my family, but I also feel that this dish is great for company.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty shrimp recipe (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Unsalted butter
- shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Minced garlic
- Heavy cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley
How to make shrimp in cream sauce
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card below for the detailed instructions. The basics are simple:
- Cook the shrimp in butter. Set aside.
- Make the garlic-parmesan cream sauce.
- Add the shrimp back to reheat, then serve.
It’s a truly easy recipe – one of those seemingly sophisticated recipes that are so easy to make.
How to serve this dish?
Many people like to serve this dish on top of pasta or rice. That’s fine of course.
This dish is also good on top of haricot vert, thin French-style green beans.
And here’s one more healthy idea for you – you can ladle the shrimp on top of raw spinach leaves. The warm cream sauce will wilt the spinach just enough to render it perfectly cooked.
Are shrimp in cream sauce healthy?
I think so. Shrimp are healthy, especially if you choose wild-caught local (U.S.) shrimp.
Butter, cream and cheese are pretty much harmless for healthy people, according to current research.
Having said that, this is obviously a high-fat dish, so it’s not appropriate for someone who needs to limit saturated fats. In that case, a better choice would be these grilled shrimp, made with olive oil.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them very gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More shrimp recipes that you might like
Shrimp in cream sauce is not the only shrimp recipe that I make often.
Shrimp in Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1.5 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with half the kosher salt and black pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until just cooked through and no longer translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the cream, the cayenne pepper, and the remaining kosher salt and black pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring. This should take about 1 minute. Add the Parmesan cheese and gently stir until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp back to the skillet. Gently stir to combine with the sauce and to reheat, about 1 more minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.