This dark, decadent chocolate pie is a bit more virtuous than others, thanks to a whole-wheat crust and a creamy filling made with Greek yogurt.
Dark Chocolate Pie
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Dessert
Yield: 8 slicesNew quantity:
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons (100 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2-4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 6 oz high-quality dark chocolate (60% cacao), broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Prepare the crust according to these directions: whole-wheat pie crust recipe.
- Keep the oven heated to 350 degrees F. While the crust is cooling, prepare the filling. Place the chocolate and butter in a large saucepan. Slowly melt over low heat, stirring often.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and yogurt, then add the milk. Add the flour and whisk well to combine.
- When chocolate is melted, turn heat off. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture (about 2 tablespoons), whisking constantly. Keep pouring the egg mixture, slowly, whisking, until incorporated.
- Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh strainer into the chocolate-egg mixture. Whisk until everything is well-incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake 45-60 minutes, shielding the crust with foil strips if you need to bake longer than 45 minutes. The chocolate pie is ready when the center is slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean.
- Cool 2 hours in pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 slice; Calories: 398; Total Fat: 24g; Carbohydrates: 41g; Sugars: 21g; Sodium: 96mg; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 7g