A whole-wheat crust and a filling made with reduced-fat milk and low-fat Greek yogurt in lieu of heavy cream make this dark, rich chocolate pie a bit more virtuous than others, and just as delicious.
Makes 8 slices
Total time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Prep: 30 minutes
Chill dough: 20 minutes
Bake: 1 hour 5 minutes
Cool: 2 hours
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons (100 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
2-4 tablespoons cold water
1 egg white
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
6oz high-quality dark chocolate (60% cacao), broken into pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt (I use Voskos)
1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Prepare the crust according to these directions: whole-wheat pie crust recipe. Keep the oven heated to 350 degrees F.
2. While the crust is cooling, prepare the filling. Place the chocolate and butter in a large saucepan. Slowly melt over low heat, stirring often.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and yogurt, then add the milk. Add the flour and whisk well to combine.
4. When chocolate is melted, turn heat off. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture (about 2 tablespoons), whisking constantly. Keep pouring the egg mixture, slowly, whisking, until incorporated.
5. Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh strainer into the chocolate-egg mixture. Whisk until everything is well-incorporated.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees F, shielding the crust with foil strips if you need to bake longer than 45 minutes. The chocolate pie is ready when the center is slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in it comes out clean. Cool 2 hours in pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Nutrition per slice
Total Fat 24.6 g
Saturated Fat 14.2 g
Cholesterol 139.7 mg
Sodium 96.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
Sugars 21.7 g
Protein 7.4 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 11 points