Skillet chicken fajitas are so easy to make, and their seasoning is amazing. Simply pan fry peppers and onions, then pan fry the chicken, mix and serve!
These easy and healthy chicken fajitas are one of my favorite weeknight dinners to make for my family. No wonder I make them so often! They are easy, tasty, and ready fast.
I almost always have chicken breast in the fridge (or freezer) and onions in the pantry. Bell peppers keep well for several days, so I tend to always have those too.
Since I always have the ingredients needed for this easy recipe and everyone raves about it whenever I make it, I end up making this dish almost weekly.
The ingredients you’ll need
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make these tasty chicken fajitas (exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Bell peppers
- Chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- Spices: chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes
- Avocado oil
How to make chicken fajitas?
It’s a truly easy recipe. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Quickly mix the seasonings.
- Season the veggies and the chicken pieces.
- Then pan fry them in a hot skillet.
That’s it! From start to finish, this recipe is ready in about 30 minutes, including chopping the vegetables!
How to serve them?
Traditionally, they are served in flour tortillas. But they’re just as good simply piled on a plate. Sometimes I serve them on top of cauliflower rice.
In fact, ever since I realized how good they are without the tortillas, fajitas have become my go-to dish to order at Mexican restaurants.
Are these chicken fajitas healthy?
I think they are, especially if you don’t serve them in refined flour tortillas.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
The chicken tends to slightly dry out when reheated, but the leftovers are still pretty good.
An alternative recipe: steak fajitas
If you prefer beef to chicken, I also have an excellent recipe for easy and healthy steak fajitas.
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 medium bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips or pieces
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients.
- Place the sliced vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle with half the seasoning mix. Use your clean hands to rub the spices into the vegetables.
- Place the chicken slices in another large bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining seasoning mix. Use your clean hands to rub the spices into the meat. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and the onions. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet, then add the chicken slices. Stir-fry until chicken is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Return the vegetables to the skillet. Stir-fry everything together 1-2 more minutes, until heated through.
- Serve the chicken fajitas in bowls, drizzled with the pan juices, and topped (if you wish) with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and shredded cheddar. Obviously, you can also spoon the chicken fajitas into warm flour tortillas, if you don’t minds the carbs/grains.