It’s easy enough to cook spaghetti squash in the oven; it’s ridiculously easy to cook it in the microwave! So easy in fact, and the results are quite comparable, that more often than not, when cooking spaghetti squash, I choose the microwave.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (2 lb.)
- Pierce the spaghetti squash in a few spots with a sharp knife.
- Microwave 5 minutes; turn to the other side and microwave 5 more minutes, until soft to the touch. Let stand for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Allow to cool 2-3 minutes, just until easier to handle. Scoop out the pulp and seeds from the center, then rake a fork back and forth to remove strands of the flesh onto a serving bowl. Toss with butter, salt and pepper or with your favorite pasta sauce and serve.
2. If you decide that your spaghetti squash is ready, but upon slicing it you realize it's still hard, simply scoop out the pulp and seeds; place each half in a large, microwave-safe bowl; add a little water, cover, and microwave until fork-tender, probably 2-3 more minutes.
3. Microwave spaghetti squash strands do tend to be a bit mushier than baked spaghetti squash strands. It's up to you if the slight mushiness is worth the easier preparation.