The original recipe, found in the Best Recipes cookbook, called for all-purpose flour, whole milk, butter and sour cream. I used whole-wheat flour, olive oil, reduced fat milk, and Greek yogurt – with excellent results.
Makes 16 muffins
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 18 minutes
Cool: 10 minutes
2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup (4oz) extra sharp cheddar, cubed into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (6oz) reduced-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded Parmesan for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 16 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Mix cheddar in with a spatula.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, and milk.
4. Add liquids to flour mixture. Mix with a spatula, just until incorporated.
5. Transfer batter to prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Batter will be thick. You can smooth it out with a spatula, or allow it to stay uneven, as I do, and get interestingly shaped muffins. Sprinkle tops of muffins with Parmesan.
6. Bake 17 minutes, or until top is golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in center of one of the muffins comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool 5 more minutes before serving.
Nutrition per muffin
Total Fat 8.2 g
Saturated Fat 3.2 g
Cholesterol 35.3 mg
Sodium 334.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 8.1 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points