An easy recipe for an incredibly moist and fluffy Greek yogurt cake. Made with almond flour, this cake is also low carb and gluten free.
This wonderful Greek yogurt cake is incredibly moist and fluffy. It is healthy too. Made with almond flour and stevia, it is low carb and gluten free. But you’ll never know it by the taste and texture!
I think I like this Greek yogurt cake even better than my almond flour cake, which is also very good. The taste of this Greek yogurt cake resembles the taste of pound cake, even though it contains no butter.
What ingredients are used in this recipe
You only need a few ingredients to make this tasty cake:
- Greek yogurt
- Sweetener (I use stevia)
- Vanilla extract
- Almond flour
- Baking soda
How to make Greek yogurt cake
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, stevia, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix in the almond flour and baking soda.
- Transfer the batter to a greased pie plate.
- Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes.
What yogurt to use in this Greek yogurt cake
I use 5% fat Fage Greek yogurt. I’m pretty sure that this recipe would work with other Greek yogurt brands. But if there’s any liquid on top of your Greek yogurt, do pour it out, to make the yogurt as thick as possible.
Can I sweeten this Greek yogurt cake with a sweetener other than stevia?
I don’t know. I only tested this recipe with stevia. You can probably replace the stevia with 1/2 cup of a granulated sweetener such as sugar or Swerve, though you might need to add a bit of extra liquid if you do. But if you’d like to sweeten the cake with honey, that becomes more tricky. Here are some general tips for swapping honey for sugar in baked goods.
No frosting? I like my cakes frosted!
I actually like simple cakes with no frosting (with the notable exception of keto birthday cake). This is because I like having them for breakfast, something which I can’t really do with frosted cake.
But if you like your cakes frosted, feel free to add frosting to this basic Greek yogurt cake! The cream cheese frosting that I use in these pumpkin cupcakes is excellent. Simply omit the pumpkin puree and the cinnamon.
I did dust the top of the cake with a small amount of Swerve Confectioners because I wanted to make it pretty for the photographs. But this is purely optional, and normally I don’t do it.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. This is a cake, of course. So it shouldn’t replace more nutritious foods in your diet, such as chicken, eggs, and vegetables. Having said that, this cake is basically almonds, eggs, and yogurt, all healthy ingredients. At 190 calories and 3 grams net carbs per slice, I consider this Greek yogurt cake healthy enough to be a breakfast cake.
Greek Yogurt Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously spray a 9-inch pie plate with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, stevia, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in the almond flour, whisking until batter is smooth and lump free.
- Mix in the baking soda.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then slice and serve.