This very tasty enchilada casserole has all the wonderful flavors of enchiladas, without the carbs and gluten! Plus it's way easier to make.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce (no salt/sugar added)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 lb. cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded (from 4 large chicken breasts)
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup packed minced fresh cilantro (1 oz)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with olive oil spray.
Prepare the sauce: Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, black pepper, chili powder and cumin, and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, the enchilada sauce, chile peppers, cilantro and 1 cup cheese.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 594mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g