Yes, you can eat zucchini raw in a salad! This raw zucchini salad, seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and garlic, is the perfect summer side dish.
I was just as suspicious as you probably are about using raw zucchini in this raw zucchini salad recipe. But as it turns out, you CAN eat zucchini raw in a salad. And this raw zucchini salad has quickly become my favorite way to enjoy zucchini (close second is these baked zucchini fries).
Who knew that raw zucchini can taste so good? But when seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and spices and left to marinate for a little while, this raw zucchini salad is an amazing, simple, fresh-tasting dish. The perfect summer side dish!
Obviously, for this type of dish, it’s best if you use very fresh zucchini. Ideally, use small, firm zucchini, and if you can get your zucchini ultra fresh at the farmers’ market, that would be best. The big, watery zucchinis that you get at the supermarket will not taste as good.
If you’re still unconvinced about eating raw zucchini salad, try this wonderfully simple recipe for balsamic grilled zucchini. Other zucchini recipes that I really like are this tasty zucchini tomato gratin, or these zucchini pizza rounds.
Raw Zucchini Salad
- 1 lb. firm zucchini, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Trim the zucchinis' ends and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Place in a large, nonreactive bowl (glass is best).
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and red pepper flakes. Mix gently but thoroughly. Allow to stand 1 hour at room temperature.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and Parmesan, then serve the raw zucchini salad immediately.