Flavorful cabbage casserole has all the flavors of stuffed cabbage but requires much less work. Leftovers are delicious, warmed up or at room temperature.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Rest time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium green cabbage, roughly chopped (1 lb. raw, 4 cups cooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, , chopped (6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (26 oz container) Pomi chopped tomatoes, drained (22 oz after draining); or 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained, large chunks crushed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (4 oz)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart (7 X 11-inch) baking dish with olive oil.
Place the chopped cabbage in a colander. Wash it but do not dry. The water adhering to the cabbage will allow it to steam. Place in a large pot, cover, and turn heat to high. When the cabbage starts to steam, lower heat to medium and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the onion, the salt and pepper and cook until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
Add the garlic, paprika, thyme, and cayenne and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
Add the drained tomatoes. Continue to cook, stirring often, 5-10 minutes, or until liquids have evaporated. If using diced tomatoes rather than Pomi crushed tomatoes, crush them into smaller pieces as you cook them.
Turn the heat off and stir in the cooked cabbage until well-incorporated.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, pressing on it to flatten. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is browned. Carefully tilt the baking dish into the sink and pour out any extra liquid. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 538mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g