This easy veggie burger recipe produces flavorful, substantial, very filling veggie burgers. Their taste is similar to falafel, but they’re not deep fried.
The first time I created this veggie burger recipe, I made them for a vegetarian friend. My husband and I were actually planning on eating bacon burgers. But when we tasted the veggie burgers, we immediately ditched the meat in favor of these. 😮
They are just so tasty. They actually taste a bit like falafel. But they are pan fried rather than deep fried. And they are more substantial and filling.
I think they taste way better than commercial veggie burgers. And they are probably healthier than many commercial brands, since they don’t contain any fillers, preservatives, flavorings etc.
How do you make veggie burgers?
This is such an easy recipe! See the recipe card below for details. The food processor does all the work for you. You basically add all your ingredients to the food processor and process them into a uniform mixture. Then, all you need to do is shape the burgers and fry them.
Are these appropriate for someone on a low carb diet?
Not necessarily. My husband and I are on a low carb diet, and this recipe is not low carb. But we both find that these homemade veggie burgers do not spike our blood sugar. Perhaps thanks to the fiber and fat they contain. Obviously, you would need to test for yourself and see how they affect you.
Are they gluten free?
I use quick cooking oats in this veggie burger recipe. If you need the burgers to be gluten free, you will need to make sure that your oats are marked as gluten free.
How to serve veggie burgers?
You can serve these veggie burgers in a bun with some mayo. But for us, since we eat low carb, they are perfectly wonderful when served on a plate, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Another low carb option is to serve them on cloud bread.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for about 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
Veggie Burger Recipe
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the onion in your food processor bowl. Process briefly to chop.
- Add the carrots, cilantro and beans. Process briefly, just until blended.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, salt, cumin, garlic and cayenne. Again, process briefly.
- Add the oats and process one final time, just until incorporated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Spoon the mixture out of the food processor bowl, using 1/2-cup measuring cup per burger (these are big, substantial burgers). Place in the hot oil and gently flatten with a spatula.
- Cook 4 burgers at a time, 5-7 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil between the two batches.