A flavorful, healthy and hearty vegetable stew, made with an assortment of mixed vegetables and nicely flavored with tomato paste, cumin and paprika.
My mother in law introduced me to guvetch many years ago. The hearty vegetable stew, made with an assortment of fleshy vegetables and simply flavored with tomatoes, salt, pepper and a little sugar, was surprisingly good.
Every time my parents in law visited us, they started their visit with a trip to the supermarket. Back in my kitchen, grocery bags heaping with vegetables, my mother in law would start peeling and chopping. Within the hour, there were two steaming pots on the stovetop. One with a hearty vegetable stew, the other with slowly simmering homemade chicken soup.
My mother in law is perpetually on a diet. The bowls of cooked vegetables and rich chicken broth help her stay full and happy even on a limited caloric budget.
But even though my husband and I are never on a diet (we simply eat healthy and lowish carb), we love this hearty vegetable stew. It’s a wonderful, filling side dish. Sometimes I simply serve it topped with a couple of poached eggs for a wonderful, satiating meatless dinner.
Other times, I bake tiny cocktail meatballs and mix them into the vegetable stew.
My mother in law taught me her wonderful recipe. Over the years, I made a few changes to her original recipe. My own version is a little more seasoned. I skip the sugar and add cumin and paprika. But other than that it’s very similar to the wonderful basic recipe.
You can use whatever veggies you like and change up the ratio, as long as the volume of veggies remains about the same.
This vegetable stew keeps beautifully in the fridge for about 3 days. In fact, like most stews, it tastes better the second day, after the flavors have had some time to meld.
Although not a true low carb dish, I consider this hearty vegetable stew as very healthy. This is the good, slow absorbing kind of carbs that I eat happily. This stew is great if you’re on a moderate carb diet. But if you’re on a very low carb or ketogenic diet, this is sadly not for you.
Hearty Vegetable Stew
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 6 medium zucchinis, unpeeled, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, water, lemon juice, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin and paprika. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the eggplant, zucchinis and garlic. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and the tomato mixture. Gently mix with a wooden spoon to blend everything together. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 30 minutes, stirring gently every 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir one more time, and allow to slightly cool before serving, about 10 minutes.