A super easy recipe for delicious sticky drumsticks that are healthy and paleo. I make this recipe often, per my family’s insistence!
My family really likes these sticky drumsticks. Their combination of sweet and savory is irresistible. Naturally a big hit with kids, grownups love them too!
I make drumsticks just about every week, so I have a growing collection of chicken drumsticks recipes (these spicy drumsticks are excellent). This one is definitely a keeper.
The ingredients used in this recipe
You will only need a few ingredients to make this tasty dish (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chicken drumsticks
How to make sticky drumsticks
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by mixing together the sauce ingredients.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken drumsticks and toss to coat.
- Bake 45 minutes at 400°F, basting often.
4, Baste one last time with the pan juices and serve.
What makes these sticky drumsticks healthy?
My challenge when making this recipe for the first time (I’ve made them many times since) was to use a natural sweetener instead of brown sugar. I opted for honey.
I also wanted to use the minimal amount that would flavor the dish, without making it overly sweet or going overboard with the carbs. So I settled on two tablespoons.
And I am proud to report that I succeeded. This chicken recipe is easy to make, healthy, and delicious. If you wish, you can use just 1 tablespoon of honey to reduce carbs even more.
As for the soy sauce, I don’t mind using it in moderation. But if you do (or if you can’t have gluten), you can use coconut aminos instead.
How to serve sticky drumsticks
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep quite well in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Although – as with most chicken recipes – they’re not as good as when served fresh. I reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power. They are also good cold.
More chicken drumsticks recipes you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or use a gluten-free alternative and add salt as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 medium skin on chicken drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, soy sauce, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Pour the sauce on top and use your hands to massage the sauce into the chicken pieces.
- Bake 45 minutes, using a pastry brush to baste the drumsticks with the pan juices every 15 minutes, and washing the brush with warm soapy water after each basting.
- When done, brush the sticky drumsticks one last time with the now thickened pan juices, and serve.