Roasted pumpkin slices, creamy and very flavorful, are seasoned with an interesting spice mix of garlic and chili powder.
My family practically begs for these skin-on roasted pumpkin slices. They are so wonderfully creamy, and the chili seasoning is phenomenal. The fact that they are healthy is the icing on the cake!
I can’t help it. When October comes along and the peaches, plums and summer squashes on grocery stores shelves are gradually replaced with apples, oranges, and pumpkins, I just have to start making pumpkin recipes!
The ingredients used in this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish:
- Sugar pumpkin
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
How to make roasted pumpkin slices
Detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Briefly microwave the pumpkin to soften, then cut and remove the pulp and seeds.
- Cut into slices and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil and season.
- Roast about 30 minutes at 425°F.
When roasted in the oven, pumpkin comes out tender, creamy, and very flavorful. The seasoning mix – chili and garlic – creates a very interesting flavor profile for this dish.
Except for the part where you cut the pumpkin, slightly risking your fingers, it’s a very easy recipe. But briefly microwaving the pumpkin prior to cutting helps to soften it up. Which makes cutting into it much easier and thus preserves your precious fingers.
What pumpkin variety to use in this recipe?
It’s best to use small sugar pumpkins when making roasted pumpkin slices. The large pumpkins have a watery, stringy flesh, and are best suited for carving, not for eating.
Can I eat the pumpkin skin?
Yes! If you use thin-skinned, small sugar pumpkins, you can absolutely eat the skin – it’s safe and edible. But obviously, you can peel it off prior to serving. I leave it on unless it’s very thick.
What goes with roasted pumpkin slices?
What to do with leftover roasted pumpkin slices?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
Roasted Pumpkin Slices
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (about 2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Set oven rack to the lowest position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the pumpkin and cut the stem off. Place in the microwave and microwave for 1 minute on high, to soften it a bit and make cutting easier.
- Carefully, using a very sharp chef’s knife and back-and-forth sawing motions, cut the pumpkin in half. Use a large metal spoon or an ice cream scoop to remove the pulp and the seeds (wash and save the seeds to make roasted pumpkin seeds). If stubborn pulp remains, cut it with kitchen scissors.
- Back to using the sharp knife and the sawing motions, cut each half of the pumpkin into four 1-inch-thick moon-shaped slices, discarding the ends. Arrange the pumpkin slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a pastry brush to brush both sides of the pumpkin slices with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Roast the pumpkin slices until fork-tender, about 30 minutes, flipping them midway through baking. Serve immediately.