Oven-roasted potatoes and onions are delightfully crispy and so very tasty. It’s an easy recipe, too: the oven does all the work!
These oven-roasted potatoes and onions are a delicacy. They are so flavorful and crispy!
My husband and I are on a low carb diet and don’t eat potatoes anymore (cauliflower is such a wonderful substitute). But our growing kids do eat them, so I make them quite often.
Roasted potatoes are obviously delicious. But add sliced onions, allowing them to slowly caramelize as they roast, and you’ve elevated those potatoes into a whole new level of deliciousness!
It’s such an easy recipe, too. Quickly prep the vegetables, mix with olive oil and spices, then let the oven do all the work.
How do you make crispy potatoes?
It’s all about adding enough fat (olive oil or butter), and about how long you roast them. The recipe below suggests roasting for 45 minutes. But if your oven is not as hot as mine, it might take 5-10 minutes longer.
It’s also important to stir the roasted potatoes and onions after about 20 minutes in the oven. Otherwise, they tend to stick to the bottom of the pan.
If you prefer, you can use melted butter in this recipe instead of the olive oil. I made it with both, and both versions were excellent, so it’s really up to you.
What to serve with roasted potatoes and onions?
It’s such a versatile side dish, you can serve it with anything. I like to serve it with something that I can bake in the same oven. So I often serve this side dish with crispy oven baked chicken legs, with baked parmesan chicken or with baked salmon.
Is this a healthy recipe?
It depends on your dietary needs. If you need to limit your carbs, then potatoes are probably not the best choice for you.
What about leftovers?
If you have leftover roasted potatoes and onions, you can keep them, covered, in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Gently reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power. Although they won’t be as good as when freshly roasted.
More recipes that you might enjoy
Another tasty potato recipe that my family loves is this recipe for scalloped potatoes. They are wonderfully rich and crispy!
And if you’d like to try a healthier mashed potatoes recipe, you should definitely try olive oil mashed potatoes.
Roasted Potatoes and Onions
- 1 lb. small potatoes, unpeeled, washed and dried, halved
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika is also good, and so is cumin)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes, onion slices, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Use your clean hands to mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a 13 X 9-inch baking dish, or an equivalent casserole dish.
- Roast until potatoes are tender and onions are caramelized, about 45 minutes, gently stirring midway through roasting. Serve immediately.