Oven baked Parmesan asparagus is a tasty and healthy keto side dish, perfect in spring and early summer, when asparagus is in season.
This Parmesan asparagus is amazing. As much as I love the simplicity of steamed asparagus (especially when topped with butter), I have to admit that roasting asparagus and seasoning it with garlic powder and Parmesan elevates it into a true delicacy.
Parmesan asparagus comes out of the oven crispy and savory. It’s best when made with fairly thin asparagus. The very thick ones don’t really get crispy. But it’s always delicious, regardless of the thickness of the asparagus you use.
The Picky Eater generally refuses asparagus. But she agrees to eat oven baked Parmesan asparagus – as long as I make sure they turn out crispy! This makes me happy, since asparagus is very healthy.
You can serve Parmesan asparagus with a dipping sauce made with sour cream and seasonings (such as garlic powder, cayenne and grated Parmesan). But it’s truly so wonderful as is, I rarely bother with a dipping sauce.
I’ll admit though that the Picky Eater likes to dip what she fondly calls “asparagus fries” in unsweetened ketchup! We just sigh and avert our eyes.
As for leftovers, they’re not as good as freshly baked – they lose their crispness. So my recommendation is to only make as much as you plan on eating right away.
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, thick ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Arrange the asparagus on the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Bake 15 minutes, until tender crisp. Remove the Parmesan asparagus from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and serve.