The secret to crispy oven fries? Coat them in egg whites before seasoning, dip in almond meal, then bake in a hot oven.
These baked oven fries are wonderfully crispy and well-seasoned. (I think you will also love these cajun oven steak fries, by the way).
It’s difficult to achieve the level of crispiness you get when frying in oil. But the method described here, of coating the fries in a crunchy coating, then baking them in a hot oven, produces delightfully crispy oven fries.
These days I eat a low carb diet, so I mostly make this recipe for the kids. They are growing and active and can utilize the carbs much better than I can.
But as the daughter of a Dutch father, I can’t help but love fries. And I’ll admit it – I love them dipped in rich, yellow Dutch mayonnaise, not in ketchup!
If you ever had real Dutch fries dipped in mayonnaise, you know what I’m talking about. It’s heavenly.
Anyway, back to the recipe. For me, the biggest advantage to baking rather than frying is that baking is so much easier! Since these oven fries are a real treat, they will leave you wondering, why ever again bother with deep frying?
PS. If you like sweet potatoes, you should definitely try these delicious baked sweet potato fries.
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb. russet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half in two, and then cut each quarter into 1/4-inch-thick fries. Pat dry using paper towels.
- Place the fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.
- Transfer the fries to the bowl with the almond meal mixture. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them a little. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from oven. Carefully turn fries. Spray again and bake 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.