It doesn’t get any simpler than olive oil pasta. It’s the simplest of pasta sauces, and one of the most delicious.
Olive oil pasta is my kids’ favorite pasta – a simple, yet delicious mix of textures and flavors. Wholesome and pleasantly garlicky, this olive oil pasta is by far better than the bland, limp, overcooked buttered pasta typically served to kids in restaurants. And despite being more complex in flavor, kids of all ages love it.
I usually make the entire package, because olive oil pasta keeps well in the fridge for several days and my kids love it in their lunch boxes too.
Needless to say, this olive oil pasta is excellent for adults too, if they don’t mind the carbs. Although when serving to adults I would sprinkle chopped Italian parsley and grated Parmesan on top – 1/4 cup of each – for some added complexity and flavor.
Olive Oil Pasta
- 12 oz gluten free spaghetti or spaghettini
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt for the cooking water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. When the water starts boiling, add a tablespoon of kosher salt.
- As soon as water boils again, add the pasta. Cook, gently stirring, 2 minutes less than the package instructions, then check the pasta for doneness. It's usually perfectly done 1-2 minutes before the time listed on the package.
- While the pasts is cooking, heat the olive oil and the garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook the garlic until just golden, then promptly remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta into a colander. Don't drain too well - it's OK and in fact preferable if a little of the cooking water stays in the pasta.
- Return the pasta to the hot, empty stockpot. Pour the garlicky olive oil on top, scraping every last drop with a spatula, add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve immediately, or divide into servings and keep in airtight containers for a few days in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave.