In this low carb double cheeseburger recipe, smoked cheddar cheese melted between two burger patties makes a rich, satisfying, delicious low-carb meal.
This low carb and keto double cheeseburger is basically homemade fast food.
I started making it when I became intrigued by the “Flying Dutchman” meal on the In-n-Out secret menu. I liked the idea of a fast food place serving a low carb option (even if it’s not on the menu). But I am unwilling to actually order fast food. So I decided to recreate the dish at home.
So how do you make keto double cheeseburger?
It’s a very simple dish, really. It consists of two slices of cheese, melted between two burger patties. It’s a rich, satisfying and delicious low-carb meal!
How to eat this keto double cheeseburger?
Well, you can be polite of course and use utensils. Or you can just hold it with your hands. That’s what napkins are for, right? 😀
You call this a healthy recipe? It’s a heart attack on a plate!
Can I make this keto double cheeseburger ahead of time?
Not really. The whole idea is to have it all warm and melty. You COULD make the beef patties ahead of time, though, then assemble the keto double cheeseburger and microwave it to reheat the patties and melt the cheese.
More low carb hamburger recipes you might enjoy
Low Carb Double Cheeseburger
- 4 (1/4 lb.) beef patties, 85/15
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 (1 oz slices) cheddar cheese (I used smoked cheddar)
- Heat your broiler on high (550 degrees F) and set a rack 4 inches below the flame.
- Arrange the beef patties in a single layer in a broiler-safe pan (I used a large stainless steel skillet). Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Use the tips of your fingers to make a shallow indentation in the middle of each patty.
- Broil the patties for 2 minutes. Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Flip the patties. Broil 2 more minutes for medium-rare, or 3 more minutes if you prefer medium.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Turn the oven off, but close the door to keep it hot.
- For each double burger, sandwich two slices of cheese between two beef patties.
- Return the patties to the hot oven for a few seconds, to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.