Low carb breaded shrimp, a.k.a keto fried shrimp, are coated in pork rinds, sprayed with oil, then baked in the oven until hot and crispy.
These keto fried shrimp look breaded, don’t they? But they’re not! The secret: crushed pork rinds, which make a fabulous low-carb substitute.
I find that there are three wonderful low carb/ keto substitutes to breadcrumbs: almond flour, pork rinds and grated Parmesan. All of them can absorb liquids, so they work well in a meatloaf, for example. And all of them, when fried or when sprayed with oil and baked, become golden and crisp, just like breadcrumbs.
After I started eating low carb, it took me a while to realize that I do not need to give up crispy foods! There are ways to recreate crispiness on a low carb or keto diet. After baking these low carb breaded shrimp in a hot oven, they become crisp, golden, and absolutely delicious.
Even though these keto fried shrimp are actually oven fried, they come out nice and crispy, and since I find baking much easier than frying, I never bothered trying to pan fry them.
These low carb breaded shrimp are wonderful on their own. You can also make a dip to dip them in – try 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 1 tablespoon Dijon and 1 tablespoon unsweetened ketchup.
Low Carb “Breaded” Shrimp
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 oz plain pork rinds, processed in food processor into crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 16 oz jumbo shrimp (21-25 per lb., peeled and deveined, patted dry)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the crushed pork rinds with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and Parmesan. Divide into two separate bowls – this will ensure the pork rind crumbs stay as dry as possible, making it easier to coat the shrimp.
- Place a few shrimp at a time in the egg to coat. Allow excess egg to drip back, then roll each shrimp in the pork rind mixture.
- Transfer the coated shrimp to the prepared baking sheet. Make sure they don’t touch each other.
- Generously spray the shrimp with olive oil. Bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve the keto fried shrimp immediately.