Gluten-free Dutch baby pancake is fluffy and delicious. I make it with a combination of almond flour and coconut flour. The blueberries are optional!
Gluten-free Dutch baby pancakes are one of my kids’ favorite weekend breakfast (their number one request is almond flour pancakes). They love to watch them puff up in the oven. And they love adding their own toppings – usually a drizzle of maple syrup.
Is Dutch baby pancake truly Dutch?
I have to say that my dad is Dutch, and I visited Holland often as a kid, yet I never had Dutch baby pancakes. However, I WAS very familiar with pannenkoeken, and my dad made those often.
I suspect that Dutch babies are not Dutch at all but rather have a German origin. But wherever they originated from, they are delicious and make a really fun breakfast!
Is gluten-free Dutch baby as good as the real thing?
Sadly, no. The wheat flour version is tastier and significantly puffier than this gluten-free version. But if it’s important for you to avoid wheat and gluten (it is to me), then these are a good, tasty option.
The ingredients used in this recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty breakfast:
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Fresh blueberries
The berries are optional
Whether to add berries to the batter is up to you. Almond flour batter is not as absorbent as wheat flour batter. So I find that the juices released by the blueberries can make the Dutch baby slightly soggy.
My own preference is to serve the berries on the side. But my kids love them baked into the pancakes, and good mother that I am, I happily oblige. 🙂
Can I use frozen blueberries?
The blueberries are wonderful in this gluten-free Dutch baby. They add flavor as well as texture. I use fresh blueberries and haven’t experimented with using frozen blueberries.
But frozen blueberries are often mushy, and they tend to bleed into the batter and stain it. So, unfortunately, I can’t recommend using them in this recipe or in any of my baking recipes.
I think that frozen blueberries are great for making shakes and smoothies. They’re not really suitable for baking, in my opinion.
How to make gluten-free Dutch baby
It’s super easy. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Melt the butter in two pie plates, in your oven.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, sweetener, almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the pie plates. Scatter the blueberries on top.
- Bake until the edges are browned and the center is set, about 20 minutes.
Is this a healthy recipe?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Place them on paper towels to absorb moisture, and replace the paper towels daily. You can also freeze them in freezer bags.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Gluten Free Dutch Baby
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetener of choice (I use the stevia equivalent)
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free if needed)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Divide the butter between two 9-inch pie plates, two tablespoons in each.
- Place the pans in the oven as it heats, to melt the butter and get the pans hot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, sweetener, almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Whisk until the batter is smooth and free of lumps. Since the batter does not contain gluten, there are no worries about over-mixing.
- Carefully remove the pie plates from the oven. Pour half of the batter into each of them. If using, scatter the blueberries on top, then quickly return the pans to the oven.
- Bake until edges are browned and center is set, about 20 minutes.
- Cut each pancake into four slices and serve warm, 2 slices per person, with your favorite topping.