An easy recipe for healthy gluten free paleo brownies. These fudgy gluten free brownies are made with coconut flour and cocoa powder and sweetened with maple syrup.
This recipe for gluten free paleo brownies is based on an old cocoa brownies recipe that I used to make, adjusted for coconut flour.
Coconut flour is very absorbent and can render baked goods dry. The Internet tells me that recipes need 1/4 cup of added liquid for each 1/4 cup coconut flour used. In this recipe for healthy gluten free paleo brownies, I chose to reduce the amount of flour I use. And I also used grade B maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
These paleo brownies are delightful: dense, moist and very chocolaty. They are not super sweet. So if you like your baked goods very sweet, consider adding just a touch of stevia to this recipe. But we all love it, including the kids.
This is an easy recipe that comes together quickly. As always with brownies (or any chocolate baked good, really), make sure you don’t over bake the batter. It’s better to underbake than to over bake these gluten free paleo brownies.
PS. If you’d like the deep chocolatey experience of good brownies without the baking, try these rich, decadent chocolate cheesecake bars.
- 1 teaspoon butter for pan
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a square 8-inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Lightly whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla, just until incorporated. You don’t want too much air in the batter or it will end up cake-like and not dense and chewy as a brownie should be.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, gradually sift the cocoa powder into the mixture, stopping once in awhile to whisk it in.
- Add the coconut flour and the salt, whisking to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using a rubber spatula to get it all out of the bowl. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out not wet but not completely dry, with a few moist crumbs, 40-45 minutes.
- Cool the paleo brownies for 30 minutes, in the pan, before cutting into squares and serving.